Tony Award-winning, Golden Globe-nominated co-creator, star and director of Hedwig and the Angry Inch John Cameron Mitchell regales like no other with his production, “THE ORIGIN OF LOVE: The Songs and Stories of Hedwig.” Part cabaret, part confessional and always big, bold and brash — in this multi-media concert Mitchell entertains theater-goers with his songs and stories of living with Hedwig for more than 20 years. Featuring special guest Amber Martin, this “love letter to Hedwig fans everywhere” also includes material from Mitchell’s podcast “Anthem: Homunculus.” Put on some make-up, turn up the eight-track, and pull the wig down from the shelf — for a night of post-punk, neo-glam rock — a collective quest for love, hope and identity.
Please be advised, this program may contain explicit language, images and/or sensitive matter.
Funded in part by the New England States Touring program of the New England Foundation for the Arts, made possible with funding from the National Endowment for the Arts Regional Touring Program and the six New England state arts agencies.
MARCH 18, 2022 – 7PM
THE STATE THEATRE, PORTLAND
PRICES START AT: $30-$60
Members save 10% off full-priced tickets. Learn how to become an Ovations Member here.
Package and Save – Choose any 4 performances for a 10% discount or call 207.842.0800
All tickets are exchangeable to another Portland Ovations performance within the season.
Exchange requests must be made prior to the performance date of the original tickets.
Wheelchairs, Assisted hearing, ASL, Captions (for virtual programming)
Watch John Cameron Mitchell’s ‘Shortbus’ at SPACE in Portland. Tickets Required.
Thursday, March 17, 2022, 7PM
HEALTH & SAFETY
The following policies are in effect for this performance only.
Vaccination or Negative Test
- All persons aged 12 years and older must present proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 PCR that has been administered by an authorized third party within 48 hours prior to the show. Two weeks must have passed after the final dose of vaccine
- For persons aged 12 years and older, it is necessary to show photo identification such as a driver’s license, passport, or school issued ID along with the vaccination card, or negative COVID test result as outlined previously.
- Persons younger than 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who will verify the young person’s identity
Accepted Proof of Vaccination
- The actual vaccination card that was issued and marked when you were vaccinated and received a booster.
- A photograph of the vaccination card that has been printed, or can be shown on a personal electronic device (mobile phone)
- PCR tests administered by an authorized provider within 48 hours of the performance start time.
- Not accepted: At-home Rapid Antigen tests and student “Pool” tests are not accepted as proof of wellness for entry into venues.
- Click here to learn more about testing
- Masks are highly recommended unless actively eating or drinking.
- US CDC recommends wearing a properly fitted surgical, KN95, N95 or K94 mask at all times while inside. A compliant surgical mask will be made available on request. A cloth mask may be worn over the surgical mask if desired.
- Recommended masks by US CDC