Recognized for its virtuosity, exuberant performance style and often-daring repertory choices, over the past twenty-five years the Pacifica Quartet has achieved international recognition as one of the finest chamber ensembles performing today. Their program of thoughtfully selected works features string quartets written by American female composers during the ratification of the 19th Amendment, a masterpiece written by a pioneering female composer during the height of the pro-suffrage sentiment and a new work commissioned by the quartet from one of the most prominent female composers of our time. These works – representing women across continents and eras – cover a vast territory of different thoughts, styles, and perspectives.
- AMY BEACH: String Quartet, Op. 89 (1929)
- SHULAMIT RAN: Quartet No. 3, “Glitter, Doom, Shards, Memory”
- JENNIFER HIGDON: Voices (1993) commissioned by the Pacifica Quartet
- FLORENCE PRICE: Quartet in G major, II. Andante moderato
- FANNY MENDELSSOHN: String Quartet in E-flat major, I. Adagio ma non trope, II. Sherzo. Allegretto, III. Romanze, IV. Allegro molto vivace
Wheelchairs, Assisted hearing, ASL, Captions (for virtual programming)