Portland Ovations welcomes people of all abilities to our performances and programs, both digital and in person. Ovations presents in multiple platforms and in multiple venues in the Greater Portland area, and it is a priority for us that all our events be ADA-compliant. We all deserve access, and all have different access needs.
If you have a need that will help you to better access our programs that is not currently being addressed, please contact us at email@example.com.
Accessibility at Merrill Auditorium
Reserved handicapped parking is located on both sides of Myrtle Street for patrons with a valid permit. Additional parking is located on Congress Street, in front of City Hall. These spaces are in demand, so we suggest you arrive early to ensure availability.
Public Parking is available at “Central Parking Services” on the corner of Congress and Pearl Street (this lot offers some accessible parking spaces) and at the “Top of the Old Port” on Pearl Street (your 1st right off of Congress). Other nearby garages include the Arts District Parking Garage at 511 Congress Street and the Spring Street Parking Garage at 45 Spring Street both offering hourly parking.
Doors to Merrill Auditorium face Myrtle street, one is ramped and the rest have a step up into the building.
The City of Portland has implemented standardized security measures across all of their venues, including Merrill Auditorium. All patrons must pass through a metal detector and have bags checked upon entry. While handbags and purses will be permitted, large bags and backpacks are discouraged and we ask that you leave such items at home or in your vehicle.
Ticketing & Box Office
PortTIX can be accessed by entering Merrill Auditorium through the doors on Myrtle Street. The box offers ticket sales and will-call pickup one hour prior to the start of each performance. Regular PortTIX hours are Monday through Friday from 11AM – 3PM located at Merrill Auditorium, 20 Myrtle Street in Portland.
Mobile tickets are also issued and can be accessed through your email. The QR code typically cannot be printed, so you MUST bring a mobile phone to the event on which to display the email with the Mobile Tickets for entry. Mobile tickets are sent to your email the day of purchase. To locate them in your inbox search ‘Your Mobile Tickets’, it will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restrooms (including accessible restrooms) are located in the first floor lobby.
Ramps & Elevators
Ramped entry into Merrill Auditorium is available on Myrtle Street. Curb cuts in the sidewalk are directly in front of the doors as well as the corner of Myrtle and Congress Street.
An elevator travels from the lobby to every floor in the auditorium.
Merrill Auditorium is equipped with an infrared listening assistance system. Please let the box office know that you would like the best seating for our system. Please contact a member of the event services staff to obtain a headset. A valid driver’s license or credit card is required as a deposit.
Sign Language Interpretation
ASL interpretation will be provided at the following events at Merrill Auditorium in our 2023-24 season.
- It’s Okay to Be Different – Stories by Todd Parr
- It’s Okay to Be Different – Stories by Todd Parr (School-Time performance)
- Wabanaki Stories (School-Time Performance)
- Come From Away (January 12 performance)
- Jesus Christ Superstar (April 12 performance)
- Mean Girls (May 16 performance)
Additional performances can include ASL interpretation upon request. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 207-773-3150.
- There are several wheelchair accessible seating areas within Merrill Auditorium. These locations are in the front and rear of the Orchestra Section, as well as the rear of the Grand Tier. Please inform the box office is you would like one of these spaces. Our ushers are available if you need any assistance in locating your seat.
- We can provide two sets of over-sized seats (two seats with a removable center arm and broader backrests). Please inform the box office if you would like one of these seats. They are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Aisle seats with a movable arm to facilitate entry and exit are located throughout the auditorium. Please check with the box office for specific locations.
Service animals are always welcome. Merrill Auditorium requires them to remain on a leash or harness at all times.
Concessions are served at most performances at Merrill Auditorium. Outside food and drink, including water bottles, are prohibited.