Recipe for Borscht
Family recipe from musician Marko Halanevych of DakhaBrakha
200 g beans, 300 g potatoes, 1 beetroot, 1 carrot, 1/2 bell pepper, 300 g cabbage, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 bunch of greens (dill, parsley), 1 tbsp. spoon of tomato paste or 2 tomatoes, 2 tbsp. spoons of oil, 2 bay leaves, 3 peas of allspice, ground black pepper to taste, salt to taste, 3 litres of water.
1. Soak beans for 6-8 hours before cooking. Then drain the water. Put to cook for 40-50 minutes. Add salt, and you can add allspice. (If you do not bother, then just throw the canned beans at the end of cooking) While the beans are cooking, cut the vegetables. Diced potatoes (3-4 cm), beetroots, carrots and peppers straws, finely chop the cabbage.
2. Potatoes are thrown to cook together with beans. Mash the beets in a frying pan with oil. After 5 minutes add carrots and onions. Stew and stir constantly (beetroots, carrots and onions can not be mashed, and immediately thrown into the pan, when the potatoes are ready for 70 -80%, this is not to work hard)
3. Then throw in a frying pan tomato paste or finely chopped tomatoes. Also 5 minutes on low heat. Or immediately in the pan after the onion, if you do without straining.
4. Pour the roast into the pan. Add two crushed garlic. Add finely chopped cabbage. It is desirable to crush 4-5 potatoes to make the borscht richer.
5. Throw 2 bay leaves and herbs. Cook until done. Let’s try the salt. Serve preferably with a spoonful of sour cream. It is possible without. If only it is delicious)