This event is captioned.
You’re invited to a free conversation on contemporary art making on Wednesday, March 3 at 4 pm via Zoom. Please join Portland Ovations, Indigo Arts Alliance, and a dynamic group of North American Indigenous artists in a sweeping conversation, “Seeking Resonance: Toward Being Future Beings.” This gathering looks toward the development of renowned Yup’ik artist and choreographer Emily Johnson’s new multidisciplinary project, “Being Future Being,” of which Portland Ovations is a co-commissioner.
This virtual conversation brings Maine-based artists Jason Brown (Penobscot), Donna Decontie (Penobscot) and Chris Newell (Passamaquoddy) into dialogue with Emily, her collaborators Drew Michael (Yup’ik and Inupiaq) and Maggie Thompson (Fond du Lac Ojibwe), and you. Together, we will share a conversation that spans fashion, dance, performance, music, and textile and visual arts, as they discuss their experiences as Indigenous artists making work today: their relationships to tradition, place, spirituality, and more.
Free RSVP to receive the Zoom link to this conversation.
- Emily Johnson, Dancer, Choreographer & Director
- Jason Brown, Designer & Performer (Firefly the Hybrid)
- Donna Decontie-Brown, Jewelry Designer
- Drew Michael, Visual Artist
- Maggie Thompson, Textile Artist
- Chris Newell, Facilitator, Executive Director of Abbe Museum & Senior Partner to Wabanaki Nations