F/T Position with Benefits
Salary Range: $48,000 – $52,000
Portland Ovations Production Manager (PM) manages the production details of all Ovations’ productions, live, digital and community-based. The PM is a key team member who represents Ovations and its mission in their work with artist/tour management, production vendors, production unions including IATSE and facility staff for the venue in which Ovations is presenting. The PM reports to the Executive & Artistic Director.
Ideal candidates will have experience in several of the following areas: working with and across many different constituencies, from artistic management to backstage crew and vendors; working knowledge in lighting design and audio/visual stage technologies; working with labor unions; budget management, prior tour experience. A valid Maine driver’s license is required.
Interviews will be conducted over Zoom or over phone as necessary. Interview committee will include Ovations staff plus a specialist in technical event production long associated as a vendor with the organization. Portland Ovations’ team of seven, including the Production Manager position, is working remotely for the foreseeable future. Onboarding will include a series of individual, departmental, and team meetings, as well as meetings with venues and vendors.
Portland Ovations’ Production Manager:
- is the interface with all related live performance venues on COVID-19 protocol preparedness to ensure a safe event for artists, staff, volunteers and audiences.
- is the Point of contact with all touring productions once an event is confirmed starting with administration and fulfillment of the engagement contract, through performance to load-out.
- is responsible for all artist services (hotels, transportation) and production details (tech needs and schedules) well in advance of the production with vendors, unions, visiting company production teams and venue staff. The PM establishes and communicates day-of-show schedules no later than 2-weeks prior to event, anticipating the need for flexibility.
- proactively negotiates with vendors, technical unions, visiting company production teams and venue staff to ensure that production schedules, rentals and labor efficient and meet production budgets. Reviews, approves, and submits for payment production invoices from vendors as well as ensures all information is documented and available for day-of settlement of the shows
- schedules piano tuning (and moving if necessary) as needed throughout the season.
- is an active working hand on small to medium shows (requiring 8 hands or less), including classical recitals and music events.
- is in regular contact with other Portland Ovations staff and available for regular staff and logistics meetings as necessary.
- works with venue front-of-house staff and Portland Ovations staff to facilitate activities such as: pre-show event set-up in Rehearsal Hall and/or Green Room as well as community-based activities that require production support.
- oversees production elements for Portland Ovations’ annual fundraiser as needed, including but not limited to A/V stage set-up.
- arranges backstage catering for events as needed and in consultation with Ovations program staff, as well as onstage water needs for artists. Manages artists’ backstage needs (towels, water, etc.)
- may perform light runner duties as time allows.
- provides Programming Staff with a brief post-mort especially including but not limited to budget variations.
- participates in two production planning meetings each season in preparation for the fall events and then again for spring events.
- is committed to inclusion, diversity, and equity.
Portland Ovations is committed to creating a welcoming, accessible, diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We have a clear vision: to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to stay to do their best work. We recruit, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status; and are dedicated to creating an equitable, flexible and supportive, diverse workplace accessible to all.
To Apply: Please send a brief cover letter, resume and references (will not contact until post-interviews) to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.