Director of Development
Portland Ovations seeks an experienced fundraising professional to lead its dynamic development strategies. Ideal candidates will have experience in non-profit fundraising with knowledge of sales and marketing and be an excellent communicator. S/he will possess a proven track record of successfully cultivating, soliciting and stewarding significant gifts from individuals, corporate partners, foundations and government sources. A passion for community-building, arts education and making possible the power of live performance is a must. Ovations is an 85+ year-old multidisciplinary, non-profit arts presenter in Portland, Maine. With an annual budget of $2M and a dedicated staff of 8, Ovations brings more than 30 performances and 100+ community activities to its community each year.
Summary: The Director of Development (DD) serves as the senior development staff member for Portland Ovations. The DD is responsible for the oversight, planning and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising strategy that achieves Portland Ovations’ development goals. This position guides and supports the Executive Director’s fundraising work while also motivating and coordinating the efforts of the Board of Directors, providing staff leadership and support to the Development Committee of the Board. The DD is directly responsible for securing major gifts, sponsorships and grants from individuals, corporate partners, foundations and government sources. The DD works closely with other development staff to achieve goals in the areas of Membership, annual fund and Special Events. The Director understands and complies with Ovations’ Gift Acceptance Policy and ensures ethical compliance, as defined by the Association for Fundraising Professionals.
Key Areas of Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Executive Director to develop a culture of giving among the Board of Directors, other staff and stakeholders.
- Leads in the development and execution of a comprehensive multi-channel plan that propels Ovations’ fundraising goals.
- Identifies, cultivates, solicits and secures major gift and grants from individuals, corporations and foundations in partnership with Executive Director and volunteer fundraisers.
- Collaborates with Director of Marketing & Audience Development and Membership Director to deliver integrated communications to Members, donors and prospects.
- Collaborates with the Ovations Offstage Director to make clear and respectful connections between donors and Ovations education and outreach program, Ovations Offstage.
- Provides guidance and administrative support to the Board Development Committee and its Chairperson.
- Develops annual work plan to support Portland Ovations’ strategic plan, Ovations2020.
- Serves as a member of the organization’s leadership team, supporting and advancing in partnership the work of the Portland Ovations.
- Supervises additional development department staff.
Other Tasks Include
- Maintains systems that track progress and provide accountability to both Board of Directors and funders
- Provides additional organizational visibility in the community
- Builds organizational capacity by implementing best practices, new systems
- Manages and monitors departmental expense budget
- Has command of CRM software and knowledge of social media and emerging technology
- Participates in additional Board Committees and Task Forces when necessary
A Bachelor’s degree and access to a reliable auto with a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required.
The successful candidate will have seven or more years of relevant experience with progressive responsibility in the field and be an excellent communicator, motivator with demonstrated success in securing gifts at the 4-6 figure levels.
This is a full-time position with Health, Life and an employer-contributed retirement plan. Generous vacation package. Evening and weekends are required.
Portland Ovations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TO APPLY send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28th. No phone calls, please.